Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Perfect Friend


So yesterday in therapy, the therapist spoke to all us women about friendship. We spoke of how most of us imagine the perfect friendship or the perfect relationship, when in reality that is not so. We all had a piece of paper and described what our ideal friendship would be; All of us had radical ideas of the perfect friendship. As we read our responses, we all realized that our expectations were way out there. No one is perfect, so why is it that we have to limit ourselves to expectations that are unreal? There are good people out there despite their flaws; As we are.

But, there's another side to this predicament. Perhaps perfection has nothing to do with the best attitude or the kindest, sweetest person on the planet. Perhaps perfection is admitting to your faults and still being a kind, sweet person.

I can see my ideal friendship in that way, I'm not asking for someone that will never be mad at me (God knows that's almost impossible in my case), I'm asking for someone that will be there for me even if they're pissed. I want a friend that will empower me, be honest with me, care about me even when the going gets tough. I want a friend who will have me in a special part of their lives; comfort me when I'm sad. I want a friend that knows how to apologize if they ever hurt my feelings. I want a friend that can be open with me about their life. And I'm sure I will give that person vice versa in return.

That is an ideal friendship, heck even an ideal relationship; Someone that sticks with you through the good and the bad; And who no matter what happens, will never leave your side.

This is a true friend.

No comments: